[CentOS] Dealing with MS Outlook winmail.dat on Linux mail server

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 21 18:48:18 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Does someone do anything on your Linux (or UNIX) mail servers to convert
darn proprietary MS Outlook winmail.dat attachments your users may receive
(occasionally if lucky) into readable e-mail format.

I know quick answer to my question (good quick answer would probably be:
just trash them). Still, being involuntarily immersed into corporate world
(even at Educational institution), I'd like to know what clever and wise
people do. I can refer my users to some free online converters and get
over with that. The only thing that makes me think about potentially
investing more effort into dealing with this garbage is: google mail just
seamlessly shows users such e-mails with all contents. And I'm really
reluctant to quietly outsource services we were providing on our servers
to google.

Thanks in advance for all your advises and input.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago