[CentOS] Re: Network services start before network is up since migrating to 7.2

Yamaban foerster at lisas.de
Tue Dec 22 21:23:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 14:29, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 22 December 2015 at 10:33, Sylvain CANOINE wrote

[snip]
> Also known as "we have our policies for EL6 and we haven't paid any
> attention to EL7 to see how things have changed" ... Wonder if they have
> read my NM blog article yet ...
>
> Honestly any 'security' people banning wpa_supplicant needs their heads
> examined given that is used for 802.1x authentication ... which if they
> care about security they should be paying attention to.
>
> As for polkit and dbus ... well they have to be there in EL7 and systemd
> relies on these mechanisms.
>
> That said if they're having kittens about NM, polkit, dbus and
> wpa_supplicant they probably hate systemd and frankly I'm surprised they
> permit EL7 at all ;)
>
> Note that by default a non administrator user cannot change system network
> configuration ... bah idiots ...

You speak of this post:
  https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8
don't you?

An interesting read on the backgrounds of RHEL7 / Centos7. Thanks.

On Avahi: well, the job it SHOULD do is: to announce the services running
on the machine to the network. As this is done via broadcast, these
announcements should not be routed to outside, anyway.

But yes, there are many admins, who do not like this 'auto-discovery' stuff.
To 'MS Windows' / 'Apple MacOS' like, not 'pure' or 'hardcore' enough.

  - Yamaban.