[CentOS] Centos 7, grub2-mkconfig, unsupported sector

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Dec 29 16:39:19 UTC 2015

Hi, folks,

   Well, I get back from vacation, and three CentOS 7 boxes didn't come up
this morning (my manager and the other admin did the update & reboot).
On these three - but *not* another one or two, and I don't think those
others are Dells, they're supermicro's - the 327 kernel fell into the
rdosshell, I guess. I finally got one the three up by going back to the
228.14 kernel.

   Now, after googling and finding the CentOS bugzilla, 0009860, that
referenced the upstream bugzilla, I applied the workaround discussed in
it, Adding initcall_blacklist=clocksource_done_booting to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and then grub2-mkconfig -o
/etc/grub2.cfg"

   On one. On the other, that's got a *large* RAID appliance (a JetStor w/
42 4TB drives...), it seemed to work... then gave me a dozen or so
ERROR: unsupported sector size 4096 on /dev/sdd.
ERROR: unsupported sector size 4096 on /dev/sde.

   0. Did the grub2-mkconfig actually work correctly?
   1. Is it safe to ignore the errors and reboot?
   2. This seems to be an old bug in os-prober, that was fixed
         years ago - has it slipped back in?

           mark