[CentOS] Systemd and systemd-sysv-generator

Mike - st257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:23:46 UTC 2015

Consolidating my reply to both James and Gordon in one message.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 2:38 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2015 00:55, "Mike - st257" <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Joseph L. Casale <
> jcasale at activenetwerx.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Instead of converting the sysv script, you could trivially write your
> own,
> > > the following
> > > was tested against about 6 SNMP queries, the service stops and starts
> as
> > > expected.
> > >

> > That's certainly an option.
> > One that I was prepared to resort to. But curiosity has the best of me
> > I would like to know why the SysV generator didn't do its job.
> >
> > And I wasn't able to find any "generated" unit files from those Dell
> > OpenManage SysV scripts either.
> >

> The generators all run automatically when systemd reloads config.
>
> The transient unit files created are in /var/run ...

Thanks.
I located a few generated ones in /var/run/systemd/generator.late/
But not one for lsi_mrdsnmpagent

> Best way to see this is using systemctl (status|cat|show) <servicename> ...
>
> I expect if you do this for your failing service you'll get a better
> understanding of what's going on.

~]# systemctl status lsi_mrdsnmp.service
● lsi_mrdsnmp.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

~]# systemctl cat lsi_mrdsnmp.service
Unit lsi_mrdsnmp.service is not loaded: No such file or directory

~]# systemctl show lsi_mrdsnmp.service | egrep 'Name|Load'
Names=lsi_mrdsnmp.service
LoadState=not-found
LoadError=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound "No such file or
directory"

Thanks for the assistance.

--
Mike