[CentOS] Systemd and systemd-sysv-generator

Tue Dec 29 17:13:54 UTC 2015
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

Hello CentOS List,

I have a server that has SysV script supplied by a hardware manufacturer,
which is not functioning properly. From my reading, systemd-sysv-generator
should handle them (like it did for Dell OpenManage software which supplied
SysV init scripts).

/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-sysv-generator
Takes no or 3 arguments (it tells me), but I didn't find clear
documentation on this binary.
And no arguments doesn't seem to fix the issue.

The particular software in question is LSI MegaRaid SNMP daemon.
I retrieved the latest version from LSI's site which was provided for EL7.

~]# systemctl lsi_mrdsnmpd.service start
Unknown operation 'lsi_mrdsnmpd.service'.

~]# service lsi_mrdsnmpd start
Reloading systemd:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting lsi_mrdsnmpd (via systemctl):  Failed to start
lsi_mrdsnmpd.service: Unit lsi_mrdsnmpd.service failed to load: No such
file or directory.
                                                           [FAILED]

~]# /etc/init.d/lsi_mrdsnmpd start
Reloading systemd:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting lsi_mrdsnmpd (via systemctl):  Failed to start
lsi_mrdsnmpd.service: Unit lsi_mrdsnmpd.service failed to load: No such
file or directory.
                                                           [FAILED]

~]# /etc/init.d/lsi_mrdsnmpd status
lsi_mrdsnmpagent is stopped

~]# ls -1 /etc/init.d/
dataeng
dsm_om_connsvc
dsm_om_shrsvc
dsm_sa_ipmi
functions
instsvcdrv
lsi_mrdsnmpd
netconsole
network
racsvc
racsvc.sh
README

# in /etc/init.d/README
"Note that traditional init scripts continue to function on a systemd
system. An init script /etc/rc.d/init.d/foobar is implicitly mapped
into a service unit foobar.service during system initialization."

~]# ls -1 /etc/rc.d/init.d/
dataeng
dsm_om_connsvc
dsm_om_shrsvc
dsm_sa_ipmi
functions
instsvcdrv
lsi_mrdsnmpd
netconsole
network
racsvc
racsvc.sh
README

Thoughts as to why systemd didn't "implicitly" handle this SysV script (and
have it work)?

Suggestions as to where I go from here to properly solve this problem?

Thanks!

--
Mike