[CentOS] Idiot-proof method to format a flash drive

Tue Dec 1 14:49:42 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 11/30/2015 04:39 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> Whenever I format a flash drive I'm always terrified that I'm going to fat-finger something in the terminal and accidentally blow away a partition on one of my hard drives.  *shudder*
>
> Is gparted the best gui to handle this task?
Nux gave the program names already...... but.....

In CentOS 7 under the default GNOME desktop, Applications->Utilities->Disks

I forget where palimpsest gets put on CentOS 6, sorry.

This is actually a pretty good tool for most purposes.  It doesn't allow
some relatively arcane operations, but basic formatting it does very
well (it's especially weak on LVM operations, at least that's what I've
experienced thus far, but I always reserve the right to be wrong).  It
also allows creating disk images and restoring from disk images, as well
as some diagnostics, and powering down or ejecting media, as appropriate.