[CentOS] New monitor weirdnesses (CentOS 5.11)

Tue Dec 1 21:50:04 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 12/1/2015 12:47 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> I just got a new monitor for my desktop system (the old one died after*many*
> years of service).  The new monitor is a high res 16:9 monitor, but the VESA video
> driver insists on using 1024x768 (which was the resolution of the*old*
> monitor).  It does seem to detect higher, 16:9 resolutions but it is not using
> them.  I*think*  I need to set some low-level video mode thing, but it has
> been a long time since I have had to do that that I have totally forgotten how
> to do it.  And I have been unable to find it with a websearch either.

I've never had much luck connecting HD 16:9 aspect 1920x1080 (or 16:10
1920x1200) monitors to VGA outputs, even on MS Windows systems.   they
work much much better on DVI or HDMI or DisplayPort.