[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Thu Dec 3 16:17:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, December 3, 2015 9:49 am, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 03.12.2015 um 15:40 schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:
>> Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>>> aka 7.2, huh? auka 7.2 would be more appropriate IMHO (by auka meaning
>>> Also UnKnown As). Seriously, the scheme is awfully obscure. Our
>>> proficiemcy becomes aking the one of MS Windows admins: you just need
>>> learn new names or locations of yet the same tools.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I forgot to pus sarcasm tags...
>>>
>> Agreed. I don't want "hints", and I'm not doing fedora or ubuntu,
>> because
>> I don't want the LATESTGREATESTBLEEDINGEDGETIP, I want *stability*, and,
>> since we're supposed to be *enterprise* grade, I want stuff that's
>> simple
>> enough for a poor ol' sysadmin, who might have to explain to a manager
>> what we're on....
>
> well - for CentOS there is only one state where you should be - on the
> "latest".

I agree if by "latest" you mean either of latest 5, latest 6, latest 7.
Still, it would be good to realize what CentOS latest 7 resembles to on
the side of upstream, meaning RHEL 7.x - which "x"? Hypothetically, I know
that binary only distributed "something" works on RHEL 7.2. Will it be
reasonable to assume it will work on my "binary compatible" CentOS? If it
is CentOS 7.2, I wouldn't have trouble concluding it will work. If it is
7.1234567... I'm lost (my number comes from sarcasm, I learned the
year/month origin already ;-) Sorry about trivial argument which I bet was
repeated by many already. On the other hand why I'm arguing about CentOS 7
which I downgraded to workstation use only and servers are being migrated
to FreeBSD (sorry about mentioning - this time will be really the last
one) as CentOS 5 or CentOS 6 are phased out.

Just my $0.02

Valeri