[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Fri Dec 4 00:43:13 UTC 2015
Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> On 12/03/2015 11:01 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Sorry, you seem to not have dealt with enough managers who only really
>> know Windows, or other divisions (esp. ones that are 95% Windows) who
>> require documentation, etc.... I can live with the x.y.yymm, but not
>> showing the relation to upstream is annoying.
>>
> So tell the Win-centric managers that this is 'CentOS 7 Service Pack 2' or
> 'CentOS 7 Update Rollup for 11/2015' and they will understand what you mean
> (and it is an accurate comparison, and was what upstream did once upon a
> time by calling it 'Version X update Y.' Heh, the latest Windows 10 build
> is actually referred to as the '1511' version.
>
> What's really annoying is the thought that we're going to have the same
> gripes on the mailing list every six to seven months or so.

Maybe that's because of a bad decision that affects a lot of users in ways
that were never imagined. The reason I gripe about it every new RHEL
release is because I want CentOS to change back.

The people who actually have to deal with the ramifications of this
decision were not involved in it. There was never a call for feedback on
this list. We are not developers, and don't have time to read the developer
lists where this decision was made.

How can we possibly lobby to change it back? We can't use IRC (where a lot
of the CentOS folks seem to think they can be "available"). because we're
in an *enterprise* environment that forbids it. We aren't developers. We're
not on the board. And don't ask us to "get involved"; we don't have time!

I have hundreds of machines, our own private copy of the mirrors, and lots
of postinstall scripts. The "version number" is important to maintaining
this environment, especially in a mixed version and distro environment.

OK, I'm done griping. Until the next RHEL release, that is :)

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility