[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Sat Dec 5 18:46:56 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/04/2015 12:46 PM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 12:06:14PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> i dont see it being dropped, on my completely updated machine i still
>> see the fully qualified numbering in /etc/centos-release ( as an example ) ?
>
> I know this is a big, confused thread, but the main complaint is that
> the website has dropped the fully qualified numbering:
>
> https://www.google.com/#q=%227.1.1503%27+site:centos.org
>
> vs
>
> https://www.google.com/#q=%227+1503%27+site:centos.org
>
> The first is "7.1.1503" and has 895 results, and they aren't html
> pages, they're things like directories containing that string.
>
> The second is strings like "7 (1503)", and has 1,700+ results, and
> they are the html pages.

Puppet, Chef, Ansible and the other CFG Management systems work with the
current numbering system like it is now, we have no intention of
changing it ever again.

Not only that, but all the cloud images that we produce for Google
Compute, Amazon AWS, OpenNebula, Vagrant, etc, work.

Our docker containers work and this works with the CentOS Atomic Host
within Project Atomic.  It works in OpenHPC.

People can still get and use CentOS-7, it is completely free and it also
works completely with every major public cloud and private onsite cloud
setup.

Our community build system for SIGs is functioning and producing
software in several SIGS (https://cbs.centos.org/).

In the Virt SIG we have Xen for CentOS-6 in production with
XenProject.org taking the lead on that (http://bit.ly/1jFYLUe) (there
are also testing RPMs for CentOS-7).  There are oVirt RPMs for the last
2 releases also in the Virt SIG (http://bit.ly/1XJJ2X4).

CentOS Atomic Host is available here:  (http://bit.ly/1XJIvEl)

The Software Collections SIG is producing RPMs as well
(http://bit.ly/1m3Jmid).  Both SCLs and the Dev Tool Sets.

In our AltArch SIG ee have a beta build of ppc64le and ppc64 in (with
IBM helping with that build) as well released i686 and AArch64 arches
(http://bit.ly/1OMOWyX). We will have an Arm32 release very soon as well.

There are RDO Packages being produced for both openstack-kilo and
openstack-liberty in the Cloud SIG (http://bit.ly/21FmFl6).

The Storage SIG has 2 releases of GlusterFS Packages
(http://bit.ly/1Q7cXUA).

The bottom line is, our numbering system works for us to be able to do
all those things.

This is much more complicated than just a name on an ISO and I don't
think that we really need to discuss it at every singe CentOS-7 point
release for the next 8 years.

The CentOS-7 Base OS is still there, it is free for anyone to use, it is
being maintained as always.  If you don't want to use it, great.  That
is your choice.

However, CentOS is more open and more community driven now that it ever
has been .. while still maintaining our Base OS trees.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes