[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Mon Dec 7 13:03:53 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/06/2015 08:22 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 06:35:58PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Always Learning wrote:
>>
>>> I always admire Johnny's prose, passion for Centos and his calm approach
>>> to everything.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> But two possibly OT and probably ignorant queries:
>>
>> 1. I am running a standard Centos 32-bit system on my home servers.
>> I keep them up-to-date, but have not re-booted for several months.
>> I see from /etc/centos-release that I am running 7.1.
>> If I re-booted would this become 7.2?
>>
>> 2. If so, is this kernel panic a widespread phenomenon?
>
> You're running the 32-bit AltArch build of CentOS?
>
> The /etc/centos-release is owned by the centos-release package, and
> the contents will be updated when you update that pacakge.  A reboot
> won't change that.  In the default x86_64 release, I think that you'd
> need to pull updates from the CR repo to get the 7.2.1511 packages,
> still.

1.  The CentOS Release package does not get updated until the full
release.  It will not be updated in CR repo, but will be part of the
final rollout which includes installable ISOs, etc.  Neither will
Anaconda, which will also be updated in the full upcoming release.

The CR repo is the rest of the updates (earlier that the final release)
as we still to the final QA. This is all spelled out here:

https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR

2.  The Alternative Arches (i686, armhpc, aarch64) are not necessarily
updated as quickly as the main arches.  That is one of the reasons they
are AltArch and not a main arch.  However, we are working hard on all of
those as well.

I actually expect that I will have the CR stuff ready in the next 48
hours for i686.

I know that armhfp (that is Arm32) minimal tree is also already done and
available for 7.2.1511 (these are testing releases for Arm32):

https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2015-December/001343.html

The aarch64 packages are also mostly built, but they require some more work.

3.  This kernel issue, to the best of my knowledge on this thread, is
one person who had an issue on one x86_64 install .. but it us hard to
tell as there is much discussion on the thread that has nothing to do
with that kernel ooops.