[CentOS] Version numbering vis a vis CentOS and RHEL

Tue Dec 8 07:42:09 UTC 2015
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 7 Dec 2015 23:43, "J Martin Rushton" <martinrushton56 at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 07/12/15 22:37, Warren Young wrote:

> >> Yes. It confuses humans. There have been a bunch of examples
> >> given of how it confuses humans. A simple fix for this human
> >> issue is to use 7.1.1503 on the website, here on the mailing
> >> list, etc.
> >
> > And then we’re right back in the same old boat: With every new
> > release, the same old thread will pop up, “How do I make my servers
> > stay on CentOS 7.1?”
> >
> > Give up on the point release idea.  It’s CentOS 7; there is no
> > CentOS 7.1.  The only reason there’s a YYMM part is that it’s a
> > media respin.  Best ignore that wherever practical.
>
> So if we are to give up on the point release does that mean I don't
> have to update my machines until CentOS 8 comes along? ;-)
>
> Seriously though, since I have to build my own repos (air gap) and
> build the images for the diskless machines the point releases are
> important in tracking roughly which version particular nodes are on.
> Running yum update on a regular basis is just not an option.

You should be updating during the lifecycle to each milestone though... To
not do so is to leave yourself open to numerous bugs and attacks.

As it is, as pointed out, you can still check the installed files from the
centos-release package for the upstream it's based on and the YYMM respin
date...

Common configuration management systems (you should be using one of these
given you say you have many systems) will also report the relevant details
correctly.

On top of this if you are maintaining your own internal air gapped repo you
should be paying attention to announcements which will inform you at these
milestone points...

Given the workflow you state nothing has changed for you with the EL7.X
releases...