[CentOS] wifi on servers and fedora [was Re: 7.2 kernel panic on boot]

Tue Dec 8 16:05:01 UTC 2015
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:46:58AM -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
> > This is roughly true, although "downstream" RHEL makes its own
> > decisions about many things. If you (Mark, or anyone else) would like
> > to make this different in the future, getting involved with Fedora
> > Server is a good way to do so.
> However, to describe the Server List as an active forum for discussion
> would be somewhat overstating things.  I have not received anything

I didn't describe in that way. In fact, it *isn't* that. It's a mailing
list for working on the Fedora Server edition.

> from it as yet in December and the total volume of traffic on that
> list in November was very light.

I'm sure it will pick up as we get further into the Fedora 24 cycle.

> I am not sure in what way you envisage additional involvement is to
> take place.

It's an open source project. There are a lot of ways to be involved.
>From your concerns, doing early testing and providing feedback on
system-wide features from a server perspective is one way. Or simply
doing QA in general. You could also help develop server roles matching
needs in your environment — that's a particular feature I'm hoping will
come from Fedora through RHEL to CentOS.

> I have been bitten by things done in Fedora that only have any use on
> a laptop and that should never have been allowed into a server
> distribution.  But I cannot see how I would have been aware of them
> until they manifested themselves on equipment under my care.  By which

^ right, this.

> time it is rather too late to influence the decision to include them.

Well, not if you get involved early. That's the point.

If you don't *want* to, that's fine, but there's only so much complainy
cake that you can have and eat at the same time.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm at fedoraproject.org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>