[CentOS] when RedHat makes patches for only some versions

Fri Dec 11 16:04:36 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/10/2015 09:47 AM, Noam Bernstein wrote:
>> On Dec 10, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 10.12.2015 um 16:16 schrieb Noam Bernstein <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil>:
>>> I guess this is really a RedHat, not CentOS question, but I’m hoping that someone here will be familiar enough with the upstream policy to have some useful information.
>>>
>>> How does RedHat decide which versions to release patches for, e.g. https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2015-7613 <https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2015-7613> which has only a RH7 erratum, not 6?  And are they likely to eventually release a fix for this type of issue for RH6?
>>
>> Generally defined by the production phases:
>> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/
>>
>> It explains not all but at least the big picture …
>
> That’s useful, thanks.
>
> It does seem to indicate that RH6 is still in production 1, with security and bug fix errata being released.  So does that mean that I can expect RH to eventually release a fix for this CVE, but they just haven’t gotten around to it yet?

Backporting changes to the 2.6.32 kernel (el6) is much harder than to
3.10.0 kernel (el7) .. the further back you go, the more things are
different from the items in those commits.

I am sure they will fix it, it just takes more time to do and to test.