[CentOS] CentOS and typical usage

Sun Dec 13 12:19:41 UTC 2015
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Alice Wonder wrote:

> In the server environment you almost certainly are using a virtual
> machine, and to use a virtual machine you create an image. Set up the
> image how you want and be done with it, you can then deploy it thousands
> of times and it is set up the way you need it.

Who is "you"?
I'm running a home server under CentOS-7,
and I'm not using a virtual machine.
Why should I?
I don't want to "deploy it thousands of times".

It's amazing how people assume that everyone in the world
is, or should be, running things in the same way as themselves.

> I was one of the systemd haters initially but now I don't have an issue
> with it. Yes it is different than what I learned,

I dislike systemd because it is much more complicated than its predecessor,
and it has no advantages in my case to make up for this.
The main advantage that was originally claimed was that it boots faster.
That is not the case on my Fedora laptop.
It is no faster, and it is much harder to work out what is happening
if something goes wrong.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net