[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS6.6 to CentOS 7

Tue Dec 15 15:54:29 UTC 2015
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 15/12/15 10:43 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>> On 15/12/15 10:17 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> Is it possible to upgrade from CentOS 6.7 to CentOS 7?
>>>
>>> I  see there is some attempt at an upgrade tool available, but it's
>>> apparently broken:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool
>>>
>>> Would anyone be able to recommend a manual upgrade procedure to
>>> upgrade a minimal CentOS 6.7 system to one or other version of CentOS
>>> 7?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>> Traiano
>>
>> Given how radically the OS changed, I would strongly advice against it.
>> The move from sysvinit to systemd alone is enough to recommend against
>> an upgrade.
>

> So it's not possible under any circumstances?

I suppose anything is possible with enough time and effort, but I
strongly recommend against it.

CentOS is a server OS and as such should be used in a manner that
provides maximum reliability. An upgrade in general introduces avoidable
risk. An upgrade from 6 to 7 would induce far more risk than usual.

Much safe to setup centos 7 fresh and migrate services over in a
controlled fashion.

--
Digimer
access to education?