[CentOS] Dumb CentOS 7 question

Tue Dec 15 21:45:46 UTC 2015
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 03:30:45PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Really? There's no systemd target to restart it, and graphical.target
> >> doesn't do it? Um.....
> > Why do you think that?
> Sorry, I would have thought that graphical.target would do it. And suppose
> I'm using kdm...?

In general, you don't start or restart targets; you "isolate" them,
which means 'anything that isn't in this target should stop and
anything that is should start'. You can do `systemctl isolate
multi-user.target` and then `systemctl isolate graphical.target`
(although beware that the former can and probably will kill your
session.) I guess this is reasonably analogous to doing "telinit 3" and
then "telinit 5".

In fact, "telinit 3" and then "telinit 5" should work basically as
expected under systemd -- they will isolate multi-user.target and
graphical.target, respectively.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>