[CentOS] google chrome future / centos 7

Thu Dec 17 22:34:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, December 17, 2015 4:18 pm, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 04:28:01PM -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:37:32PM +0000, Richard wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm seeing the following banner when I start up google-chrome
>> > 48-beta (48.0.2564.48 beta (64-bit)) on my 7.2 machines:
>> >
>> >    This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates
>> >    because this Linux system will no longer be supported.
>> >
>> > Does this portend a support issue for chrome on centos-7 in a few
>> > months when the underlying changes make their way into their -stable
>> > (since, as I understand it/as last I remember, in the centos world
>> > we don't have benefit of the RH chromium release)?
>>
>> I can confirm that I see this on RHEL7 as well, with all the latest
>> updates.
>>
>> It looks like Google doesn't think RHEL7/CentOS7 is "new" enough to
>> run Chrome.
>>
>> I suggest providing feedback to Google, perhaps they might consider
>> dropping RHEL7/CentOS7 support if they get enough feedback, although I
>> suspect they really couldn't care less about RPM-based distros, most
>> of their code seems to be all ubuntu-based.
>
> seeing as how they don't seem to give a hoot about Ubuntu either
> (based on the gymnastics users need to go thru to get Google
> Earth to work on Ubuntu) I'm not sure they care much about
> non-chrome Linux distros anyway.

How not surprising. $$$ is their only concern and has always been.
Disrespecting open source [everything] whereas benefiting from open source
themselves could be one of their mottos.

This really helps to appreciate companies like RedHat even more...

Valeri