[CentOS] CentOS-7 Security Updates

Fri Dec 18 10:23:07 UTC 2015
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 18 December 2015 at 09:34, Дмитрий Тесёлкин <teselkin.d at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to clarify the security updates policy for older CentOS-7
> releases.
>
> There is a number of servers I'm supporting that are running CentOS-7 1503.
> When 1511 was released several days ago I've tried to upgrade several of
> those, but failed. I've got some strange errors with e1000 virtual NIC
> being restarted frequently with 'tx unit hang' errors. Anyway, it's not the
> thing I'd like to discuss here.
>
> What I'd like to know is the answer to the question "will there be any
> security updates for CentOS-7 1503, and how long"? I was searching on a
> wiki, but couldn't find anything clear enough. What I've found is the
> phrase in 1511 announcement letter
>
>   This release supersedes all previously released content for CentOS
>   Linux 7, and therefore we highly encourage all users to upgrade their
>   machines. Information on different upgrade strategies and how to
>   handle stale content is included in the Release Notes.
>
> This makes me think that there will be no security updates for 1503 and the
> only way to get them is to upgrade to 1511, but I'd like to find any proof.
> Unfortunately, there is nothing about this in Release Notes :(

Keep this in mind ... there is only 7 ... there's no point release to pay
attention to.

That date (or point release) is just a point in time milestone and carrying
out a yum update will continue you along the EL7 path (and
/etc/centos-release will be updated in the process as just another update).

The 'older' CentOS release is not 7.0 or 7.1 ... it is 6 or 5 ... similarly
6.6 doesn't get an 'update' as such with yum update just providing the
packages in the 6.7 milestone (+ updates).

If you do have a specific need to stay on a particular point release for
some arcane and silly reason Red Hat provides a specific z-stream support
subscription their sales team can talk to you about.