[CentOS] playing DVDs on C7

Fri Dec 18 14:32:53 UTC 2015
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 12/17/2015 08:33 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to finish setting up my newly upgraded C7 system.
>
> It's on the same hardware I ran C6 on for several years. on C6 I had no
> trouble playing DVDs (after installing tons of packages and libdvdcss).
I have found that whether VLC will play a DVD is somewhat dependent on
the DVD.  I have played DVD's through VLC successfully on my CentOS 7
system using the nux package stack, incidentally, but there are several
DVD's in my collection that will not play with the VLC in nux dextop.
But I also purchased (the very first version a number of years ago) and
keep support updated for the Fluendo OnePlay DVD player (fully legal,
licensed, DVD playback) and it both works perfectly on CentOS 7 and
plays those titles that VLC has trouble with (like the DVD copy included
in the Bluray edition of Titanic).

If you want fully legal and fully supported DVD playback, see
http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-dvd-player/ (which features
a 30 day free trial so you can test to see if it will work on your
hardware).  Fluendo also has fully legal codecs for the GStreamer
framework, and they're not terribly expensive, either. I've been using
their products for several years, now, and am quite satisfied.  The DVD
player does install a licensing daemon package, incidentally, which is a
bit of a new experience on Linux (although once was routine on Un*x
systems; anyone else remember FlexLM?).