[CentOS] playing DVDs on C7

Fri Dec 18 17:47:05 UTC 2015
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 12/18/2015 06:32 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 12/17/2015 08:33 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm trying to finish setting up my newly upgraded C7 system.
>>
>> It's on the same hardware I ran C6 on for several years. on C6 I had no
>> trouble playing DVDs (after installing tons of packages and libdvdcss).
> I have found that whether VLC will play a DVD is somewhat dependent on
> the DVD.  I have played DVD's through VLC successfully on my CentOS 7
> system using the nux package stack, incidentally, but there are several
> DVD's in my collection that will not play with the VLC in nux dextop.
> But I also purchased (the very first version a number of years ago) and
> keep support updated for the Fluendo OnePlay DVD player (fully legal,
> licensed, DVD playback) and it both works perfectly on CentOS 7 and
> plays those titles that VLC has trouble with (like the DVD copy included
> in the Bluray edition of Titanic).
>
> If you want fully legal and fully supported DVD playback, see
> http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-dvd-player/ (which features
> a 30 day free trial so you can test to see if it will work on your
> hardware).  Fluendo also has fully legal codecs for the GStreamer
> framework, and they're not terribly expensive, either. I've been using
> their products for several years, now, and am quite satisfied.  The DVD
> player does install a licensing daemon package, incidentally, which is a
> bit of a new experience on Linux (although once was routine on Un*x
> systems; anyone else remember FlexLM?).

I had problems in CentOS 7 with the nvidia card that did not exist in
earlier CentOS versions, with some proprietary codecs.

Yanking the nvidia card and just using the Intel GPU in the CPU fixed
that. And no more kernel taint.

For GStreamer I do have the fluendo codecs but if anyone wants I also
have GStreamer 1.6.2 packages for CentOS 7

http://awel.domblogger.net/7/media/

has a lot of the libraries (and ffmpeg)

http://awel.domblogger.net/7/gstreamer/

has the gstreamer stuff.

I have found the fluendo codecs have better performance than the open
source for h.264 and related potentially patent encumbered codecs.