[CentOS] playing DVDs on C7

Sun Dec 20 02:01:28 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:29:05PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 09:32:53AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On 12/17/2015 08:33 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> > >Hi all!
> > >
> > >I'm trying to finish setting up my newly upgraded C7 system.
> > >
> > >It's on the same hardware I ran C6 on for several years. on C6 I had no
> > >trouble playing DVDs (after installing tons of packages and libdvdcss).
> > I have found that whether VLC will play a DVD is somewhat dependent
> > on the DVD.  I have played DVD's through VLC successfully on my
> > CentOS 7 system using the nux package stack, incidentally, but there
> > are several DVD's in my collection that will not play with the VLC
> > in nux dextop.  But I also purchased (the very first version a
> > number of years ago) and keep support updated for the Fluendo
> > OnePlay DVD player (fully legal, licensed, DVD playback) and it both
> > works perfectly on CentOS 7 and plays those titles that VLC has
> > trouble with (like the DVD copy included in the Bluray edition of
> > Titanic).
>
> I don't play a LOT of DVDs, but on, e.g., C6 on the same hardware
> I don't recall ever having onefail to play with VLC.
>
> In looking at the source package for libdvdcss, last night, I see there
> are 3 different ways of cracking the encryption that it supports. The
> default one is to try to crack each file's encryption, with the down-side
> that it may fail entirely. there is also an option to crack the DISC's
> key which can then be used to decrypt each file. from the description
> it sounds as if the disc option might be better even though it isn't
> the default.
>
> If all else fails I will try hacking around with that option.

OK, I haven't gotten very far, but there is one interesting observation:
vlc plays my homemade NON-encrypted DVDs just fine (except for the
DVD menus, on which for some reason it errors). This kinda hints that
VLC is not finding/opening libdvdcss even though I'm using the one
from the nux repos, same as the source of the VLC RPM I have.

One would think that nux's VLC would work with nux's libdvdcss, but
this evidence makes me wonder...

If nux is here, or if anyone here uses nux's vlc and libdvdcss with
SUCCESS, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Fred

PS:
I'm not having any luck compiling libdvdcss from source... using
rpmbuild to create a RPM I keep getting errors about "unpackaged files
found", and can't figure out why or how to solve it (yes I've googled
for solutions).