[CentOS] Power Management

Sun Dec 20 21:05:53 UTC 2015
Chris Olson <chris_e_olson at yahoo.com>

Recent power management discussions plugged into one of our
current frustrations, namely the interaction of the screen
lock and power-save features on Intel/CentOS 6 platforms.
We certainly would not have guessed that locking the screen
would inhibit going into the power-save mode, but it sure
seems to do exactly that on some of our test platforms.

If one leaves the desktop idle for the timeout period, the
computer sleeps.  If one locks the screen and then leaves
the machine idle, the computer does not sleep.  We were
hoping that this "feature" was isolated to just our older
Dell desktop machine hardware and firmware, but it appears
elsewhere as well.

Possibly more interesting is that most of our systems were
loaded with CentOS 6.X almost two years ago and have been
updated at least weekly ever since.  This new power-save
scenario has appeared just within the last three weeks,and our investigations have not discovered the cause ora solution.