[CentOS] Dealing with MS Outlook winmail.dat on Linux mail server

Mon Dec 21 19:49:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, December 21, 2015 1:14 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/21/2015 10:48 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Does someone do anything on your Linux (or UNIX) mail servers to
convert
>> darn proprietary MS Outlook winmail.dat attachments your users may
receive
>> (occasionally if lucky) into readable e-mail format.
>
> the vast majority of 'winmail.dat' files are just formatting hints for
the message body.  you can read the message without them.

That's true, I've seen many of them like you describe, but the user who
asked me about it gets mail with images attached and buried inside
winmail.dat attachment.

I'm going to see what I can do following the direction Frank Cox pointed
(tnef).

> anyone using a halfway newer version of Microsoft's Outlook stuff
shouldn't be generating them at all if their mailer is properly
> configured.

Properly configured, huh. Don't ask me what I think about percentage of
properly configured MS Windows mail servers in comparison with Linux, Unix
or Macintosh ones (yes, even Macintosh ones). I really don't want somebody
offended ;-)

Valeri