[CentOS] Extending a CentOS disk without reboot

Thu Dec 24 07:17:53 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 12/21/2015 11:15 AM, Sander Kuusemets wrote:
> So what happened, is that after another administrator had extended the
> disk from VMWare, I tried to extend it from the OS side.
> Now's when the problems happened. After writing the partition table I
> got the usual "Busy" error. But I needed to do this without downtime.
> So, what did I try to get the kernel acknowledge the partition size
> change:
> * partprobe -s

Well, partprobe is the standard advice for this situation, but I don't
think it actively does anything with the -s flag.  That could have been
the problem, but I'm not certain.

> And while dmesg reported that it recognized the partition change, LVM
> did still not see it.

You didn't include "pvresize" in that list, so I presume you didn't do
it.  That's the command that will inform LVM of the change.