[CentOS] hostname service?

Mon Dec 28 01:14:55 UTC 2015
Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent at asu.edu>

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Nicholas Geovanis
<nickgeovanis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On CentOS 7, I find in /var/log/messages several times daily messages
> "localhost systemd: Started Hostname Service.". However I can't seem to
> find such a service using the systemctl command. What is the "Hostname
> Service", what does it do and why is it being restarted frequently? Many
> thanks....Nick

Hi Nick,

The service you are referring to is hostnamed [1]. hostnamed is
designed to start on request and terminate after an idle period.
Programs on your computer are probably querying the service to
determine if your hostname has changed.

This is normal behavior.

Brandon Vincent

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed/