[CentOS] Re-booting into CentOS-7.2 - advice sought

Wed Dec 30 14:08:44 UTC 2015
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I have a remote home server updated to CentOS-7.2.1511
> (as stated in /etc/redhat-release)
> but I have not re-booted since the update.
> The machine is currently running kernel 3.10.0-229.11.1.el7.x86_64.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has advice on any safety steps I can take
> before re-booting, so that in the event of failure
> I can give simple instructions to my daughter at the other end
> on how to get the system running?

Rather than initially involving a "remote hands" person...
... use "grub boot once" or in the case of grub2 it's called "grub reboot".
( Then only if it has a really bad fit should you have to involve a
physical person. )

The operations are a bit different with grub2 than they were for
grub1/grub-legacy.

https://wiki.debian.org/GrubReboot
http://ariekanarie.nl/archives/211/remote-kernel-upgrade-with-debianubuntu-and-grub2

--