[CentOS] Centos 6 Sendmail backup MX Config

Fri Feb 13 19:29:15 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> So even though sendmail I heard is not a security disaster for long
> time already I'm quite happy with postfix.

Sendmail was pretty much all fixed by the time postfix was released,
and made even better with the addition of the milter interface that
lets you run scanning, etc. processes under different uids but able to
participate in the smtp conversation.  Postfix eventually got around
to copying that too.

> At some point even RedHat
> switched to postfix as default MX software on their system (not long ago
> though...).

Just another change for change's sake as far as I'm concerned.
Sendmail continues to work just fine and the configs as shipped rarely
take more than a few lines of change in the m4 file to do normal
operations.

> I guess, backup MX example makes me even happier: postfix
> really prevents you from doing wrong thing (making your backup MX a source
> of backscatter).

It's not postfix doing that, it is you, doing whatever has to be done
to keep your lists in sync.   Still, I don't see the point of even
having a secondary MX.   The days are long gone when chunks of the
internet can't reach each other for long periods of time and anything
sending should do its own queuing and retries.  In fact if you do
greylisting, you have forced all of your senders to prove it.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com