[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Wed Feb 18 23:20:26 UTC 2015

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Le 18/02/2015 23:12, Chris Murphy a écrit :
>> What is NOT obvious: for single device installs, if you omit the size
>> in the create mount point dialog, the size of the resulting volume
>> will consume all remaining space. But since there's no way to preset
>> raid5 at the time a mount point is created (raid5 is set after the
>> fact), there isn't a clear way to say "use all remaining space for
>> this". There's just a size field for the volume, and a space available
>> value in the lower left hand corner.
<snip>
> close, but then, for mysterious reasons, Red Hat decided to cripple it
> into oblivion. Go figure.

One word: desktop. That's what they want to conquer next.

> I love CentOS, been using it since 4.x. But frankly, CentOS 7's
> installer is an abomination.
>
> All's well that ends well. It only took me a day and a half to figure
> out how to configure RAID 5 using the graphical assistant. Something I
> could have done in less than three minutes using fdisk and mdadm --create.

We don't want to use lvm - my manager doesn't like it, and given how much
we hit our machines, we almost don't use vm's, either - we need all CPU
cycles for some things (like heavy scientific computing).

We also pretty much don't use any drives under 1TB. The upshot is we had
custom scripts for > 500GB, which made 4 partitions - /boot (1G, to fit
with the preupgrade), swap (2G), / (497G - and we're considering
downsizing that to 250G, or maybe 150G) and the rest in another partition
for users' data and programs. The installer absolutely does *not* want to
do what we want. We want swap - 2G - as the *second* partition. But if we
use the installer, as soon as we create the third partition, of 497GB, for
/, it immediately reorders them, so that / is second.

Duh....

The result is that we get to the screen to choose the drive, and say
"custom partition"... then <alt-F2>, and use parted to make the
partitions, then go back to the GUI and just assign the mount points and
filesystem types.

And why would you *want* / to have everything? I want to be able to
install a newer o/s, or whatever, and not have to worry about all the
data, etc - I want that in a separate partition (no, don't format that,
thank you).

       mark