[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Thu Feb 19 04:25:02 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 2/18/2015 8:20 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> >Says who?
> Because it's ambiguous. A partition might entirely contain a volume (a
> filesystem), but in your case none of your partitions contain a
> volume. They're members of md raid first, only once that's assembled
> is there a logical block device, which happens to contain the volume,
> and it is the volume you're mounting. All you have to do is check
> fstab, partitions aren't assigned mount points, volumes are.

and I make my mdraid's PV's for lvm, and create LV's that are my file
systems which I mount.  so thats one MORE level of indirection.

disks -> partition(s) -> mdraid devices -> PVs -> VG -> LV -> file
system.   phew.