[CentOS] disk space trouble on ec2 instance

Sat Feb 28 07:46:53 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 2/27/2015 10:46 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> I'm at a loss to explain how I can delete 190MB worth of data, reboot the
> instance and still be at 100% usage.

190MB is less than one percent of 9.9GB aka 9900MB

BTW, for cases like this, I'd suggest using df -k or -m rather than -h
to get more precise and consistent values.

also note, Unix (and Linux) file systems usually have a reserved
freespace, only root can write that last bit.   most modern file systems
suffer from severe fragmentation if you completely fill them.   ext*fs,
you adjust this with `tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sdXX`. XFS treats these reserved
blocks as inviolable, so they don't show up as freespace, they can be
changed with xfs_io but should be modified at your own risk.