[CentOS] Very slow disk I/O

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Tue Feb 3 05:37:05 UTC 2015

On 2/3/2015 10:44 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/2/2015 8:52 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>> So , You dont think that any configuration changes like increasing
>> the number of volumes or anything else will help in reducing the I/O
>> wait time ?
>
> not by much.  it might reduce the overhead if you use LVM volumes for
> virtual disks instead of using files, but if you're doing too much
> disk IO, there's not much that helps other than faster disks (or
> reducing the amount of reads by more aggressive caching via having
> more memory).

Thanks John

I will test and get the I/O speed results with the following and see
what works best with the given workload:

Create 5 volumes each with 150 GB in size for the 5 VMs that i will be
running on the server
Create 1 volume with 600GB in size for the 5 VMs that i will be running
on the server
Try with LVM volumes instead of files

Will test and compare the I/O responsiveness in all cases and go with
the one which is acceptable.

Appreciate your responses in this regard. Thanks again..

Regards,
Jatin