[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Feb 3 14:16:46 UTC 2015

Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>> What secret motive *could* there be??  The current security policy is
>> weak, and this change fixes that.  End of story.
>
> It's hard to not endorse everything you are saying. As far as motive is
> concerned, it is not that secret. Security. RedHat doesn't like poorly
> administered machined with RHEL linux get hacked, then many voices saying
> saying in the internet: RHEL Linux is not secure, RHEL Linux machines are
> getting hacked. Even though the reason is not what it sounds like.

While I admire RedHat, and use CentOS on my home servers,
I would expect RH to give priority to those paying for their services,
who I imagine are almost all sysadmins of systems with many users.
My interests as a tiny user may not coincide with theirs.

This does not mean that I think there are evil spirits at RH
trying to disrupt my life.
But it does mean that the inconvenience of strong passwords
may outweigh any additional security in my case.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net