[CentOS] Kickstart setup

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Tue Feb 3 17:19:38 UTC 2015

On 02/03/2015 10:28 AM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Is there a way to use kickstart to boot a machine into a manual setup
> process? Basically what I'm getting to is this, the machine doesn't not
> have a CD drive in it (nor can I add one), but I can boot it via kickstart.
> The install media is on the network. What I'd like to do is boot this
> machine up and rather than have kickstart do everything for me as far as
> installing the OS and packages, instead present me with a manual setup
> (that I can get to via vnc) where I get to pick what I want or don't want
> on the machine. After it's all done, I'm going to go through the anaconda
> files and generate a base kickstart for all future installs. Does anyone
> have an example kickstart file I can go off of to do that?

It sounds like you just want to do a VNC install.  There is a write-up
in the RHEL installation guide on doing just that.  You can either have
the installer accept incoming VNC connections for the session or have it
connect to a listening VNC client via boot arguments.

The documentation says that you can just put "vnc" (or
"vncconnect={host}") in the kickstart file in the command section and
proceed from there.  Here's a link to an article in Red Hat Magazine
that has a pretty good overview:

> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/

As usual, YMMV!
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey at mindless.com