[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:43:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Valeri Galtsev
<galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> ... there seem to be many
> "Windows" brew people up on the top of IT ladder these days). I feel like
> there is brave new world of admins who feel it right to have "iPad-like"
> everything, i.e. boxes cooked up and sealed by vendor, and you have no way
> even to look inside, not to say re-shape interior to your understanding
> [of security or anything else]. Am I the only one?

You are conflating two unrelated things.  Being shipped with usable
defaults has nothing to do with your subsequent ability to change
them.  Just the need and advisability of such work.

> Not that this my comment meant as contradiction to any particular post
> (this post I'm replying to included). It is just the existence (and
> length) of this discussion (whether one should, or shouldn't, or anything)
> makes me think that what I was trained about security is not accepted by
> many these days. Or maybe I simply got tired following it instead of
> spending more time doing my own sysadmin's job ??

It's not that it is wrong - just that if there is one or a few way to
do it right, the box might as well come that way or with just those
few choices to get a working default instead of requiring individual
attention to a million details.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com