[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 5 18:35:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, February 5, 2015 10:08 am, Always Learning wrote:

>> > Gee thanks. I'll use it for root on every server ;-)
>
>> I know this is joke. Yet (in a slim chance someone out there can follow
>> it
>> with seriousness) I would strongly suggest:
>>
>> Don't do it. Don't use anything as any sort of password which was ever
>> publicized in any shape. Putting it in a search line of any search
>> engine,
>> or it passing it over to any (but your own) password strength checker
>> has
>> (fair in my estimate!) chance of that to be logged, added into the
>> database, etc. I almost which to yell: people use your brain ! ;-)
>
> Yes never ever, not once, let any person or any search engine etc. know
> too much about your specific security arrangements. Generalise with
> principles but always withhold the precise specifics.
>
> The nasty people out there are trying to steal your data and wreck your
> systems. They have no scruples. There is a real cyber war going-on and
> your systems are their targets.
>
>> I know, I know, everybody is reasonable, it is just I didn't have my
>> coffee yet...
>
> Your logic is amazingly good for a coffee drinker.

No, I wasn't born here though I live here, so I don't take to my heart any
jokes about people living in one of the colonies you lost ;-)  Just
stealing it from some movie I like. Still didn't have chance for my
morning coffee yet (which I deserve: I was working hard all morning).
Don't take me too seriously too, just get nice cup of tea (or wait till
morning for it)  ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator