[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 22:29:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Keith Keller
<kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

>> On C5 the default appears to be:-
>>
>>       -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1220 Jan 31 03:04 shadow
>
> It is much more likely that someone has screwed up your system.  I think
> even CentOS 4 had shadow as 400.  And what on earth would the point be
> in having a world-readable shadow file?!?  The whole point of having a
> shadow file is to keep password hashes out of /etc/passwd so that people
> can't read it.  It would be nonsensical to then make the shadow file
> readable.

Yes, /etc/shadow would have always been readable only by root by
default.   The interesting question here is whether an intruder did
it, clumsily leaving evidence behind, or whether it is just a local
change from following some bad advice about things that need to be
changed - or running some script to make those changes.  The latter
seems more likely to me.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com