[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Fri Feb 6 01:18:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 17:36 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> > Logically ?
> >
> > 1. to change the permissions on shadow from -rw-x------ or from
> > ---------- to -rw-r--r-- requires root permissions ?
> >
> > 2. if so, then what is the advantage of changing those permissions when
> > the entity possessing root authority can already read shadow - that
> > entity requires neither group nor user permissions to read shadow.

> As I said, it's your money, mister.

In the politest manner may I suggest the ability to read and the ability
to retain information is important ?

Somewhere previously in this threat and within the last few days, I
mentioned

1. the file permissions were found on a 2010 DVD back-up of a 5.3 ?
Centos installation;

2. all my current systems C5 and C6 have ---------- permissions for the
shadows (shadow, gshadow and their backups)

3. the disk drive originally used in 2010 was wiped in 2010 or 2011,
repartitioned, reformatted and reused.

4. I don't know what happened and despite being concerned and curious I
am unlikely ever to discover the cause

Why waste time on this, when Centos Learning, IP TABLES firewall for
beginners will bring substantially greater benefits to everyone ? OK,
not for the hackers !

--
Regards,

Paul.