[CentOS] lost at 'repository' entry installing centos7

Ted Miller tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 03:56:27 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 01:03 PM, g wrote:

> On 02/02/2015 02:15 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Am 1. Februar 2015 21:30:52 MEZ, schrieb g <geleem at bellsouth.net>:
>>>
>>> greetings.
>>>
>>> while attempting to install c7, i got lost at 'repository' entry.
>>> i canceled, loaded centos.org, looked for help for installing c7,
>>> but did not find.
>>>
>>> i know, i did not look in right place.
>>> if such has been posted, i missed.
>>> so what/where is 'the right place'?
>>> much appreciate some help.
>>
>> What are you exactly searching for?
>
> excuse my prior terseness.
>
> i pulled;
>
>    CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.iso
>
> "burned" it to a usb memory stick with;
>
>    su -c "dd if=CentOS-7.0-1406-x86_64-NetInstall.iso of=/dev/sdd"
>
> rebooted, to usb, answered all questions up to screen where an
> entry asked for a "repository".
>
> not having committed to memory, or, having written down any
> repositories urls, i quit install.
>
> in searching centos.org and wiki.centos.org thru docs and faqs, i
> found not install instructions for centos 7, other than using;
>
>    CentOS-BootService-ipxe.iso
>
> which i pulled, "burned" to usb memory stick, rebooted to usb and
> ended up with about 4 lines and a notice of a failure, which i did
> not right down.
>
> one thing of note, net install iso did write a new boot with 4
> options, 2 of which allow me to boot into centos 6.6.
>
> in time of doing other things and pulling emails a few minutes ago,
> i did return to centos.org and c&p a repo url and printed it out.
>
> i was intending to reboot after pulling emails and noted your reply
> and i am replying to see what your suggestions may be, and;
>
>    thank you for replying.

If you are new to Centos, it really is best to download the DVD.  The
net-install is really designed for people who put up their own server for
doing 200 installs in one building.  The ipxe.iso that you tried absolutely
requires a special server on your local network.  Yes, you can do a single
install with the net install, but it should be your 10th or 20th, not your
first.

I hope you can download the DVD and enjoy Centos 7.  "Get Centos 7 Now" to
"DVD ISO" to the list, and pick any link off of the list.  The DVD will be
quite self-explanatory.  The only caveat is to make sure you go into the
link for your network card and configure it.  Otherwise Centos will start
up with the network card turned off.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA