[CentOS] anthem details

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Sat Feb 7 07:09:24 UTC 2015

On 02/07/2015 12:48 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-02-06 at 17:24 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> the hackers had the database administrators user account credentials, and
>>> were coming in through the VPN via said credentials.  I  doubt stronger
>>> passwords would have mattered.
>> Hmmm, maybe a reasonable argument for the crypto-card type VPNs where
>> the passwords aren't reusable...
> Excellent suggestion especially as the current 'defences' failed. Rather
> senseless for some to rely so enthusiastically upon the existing failed
> protection.
>
> Definitely +1 for that good and safer idea.
Two factor authentication is really what one needs for all servers
providing secure services: i.e something you know and something you possess
Google does this via a password (known) and a key txt'd to your cell
phone (something you possess). Simple and quite cost effective as most
folk that work on servers are likely to already have a cell phone and it
works world wide. I haven't checked if Google offers an API for this,
but sending txt messages from a server must not be that difficult to
achieve.
Another task for my scantly available spare time.