[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Mon Feb 9 19:06:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 11:31 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> I guess, this discussion (about security of your system and what affects
> it) should be ended by the reference to fundamental book on Unix system
> [administration]. One thing I learned: you can not become proficient in
> any subject just by reading sparse blogs about it. One thing you
> definitely need: very good understanding of underlying fundamentals. For
> this reason the most productive would be to think if you have very good
> general understanding of how Unix (or Unix-like) system works. The easiest
> is to start reading good book about it, and if you see you are making
> discoveries, then this is definitely what you are missing, and what you
> need to study before diving into discussion what is good for security and
> how it affects that. That would be what I would recommend to myself (which
> I did way back...). If I were choosing the book to get good start today, I
> would choose:
>
> UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition) 2010 by Evi
> Nemeth and Garth Snyder
>
> - don't worry about "outdated...", remember, you first need fundamentals.

Brilliant logic about ignoring the publication date.

I did a Google on

	"UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (4th Edition) 2010 by
Evi Nemeth and Garth Snyder"

The third item was a 16.1 MB PDF of 1,344 pages. A quick scan of the PDF
shows every page appears to be readable.  11 pages devoted to BASH.
Information on other interesting topics too.

Although I have a natural preference for paper books (I became a
computer person at a large international book publisher) and I like the
ability to annotate text, the PDF is definitely a useful and informative
read.

Thanks Valeri.

     I.
--