[CentOS] Why the command 'service ntpd stop' cause the time reversed?

Peter Lawler centos at bleeter.id.au
Thu Feb 12 02:53:27 UTC 2015

On 12/02/15 12:53, David chen wrote:
>  but why the second line timestamp(13:59:59) is less than the first line's(14:00:01)?

Total guess here, but I suspect what's happening is that the ntp server
on your LAN that this client is getting the time from in the hardcoded
'ntpdate' command is about ~1 second out from the servers the client is
using from /etc/ntp.conf

Further complicating matters is the output from the hardcoded 'ntpdate'
command doesn't appear in /var/log/messages until it's completed thus
giving the output of 'ntpdate' all at once.

Add these two together, and you get a TARDIS :D

Cheers,

Pete.