[CentOS] Centos 6 Sendmail backup MX Config

Ken Smith

kens at kensnet.org
Fri Feb 13 15:57:50 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I'm just wanting to check that my understanding of the settings is
correct as my web searches are finding a lot of dated information.

If I want a Centos 6 sendmail system act as the secondary MX for domain
bbbbb.co.uk do I just add a

Connect:bbbbb.co.uk               RELAY

statement into /etc/mail/access and restart sendmail

Obviously I have the DNS MX records for the domain are already established.

I've been getting "/config error/: /mail loops back to me/ " errors.

I think I may be stumbling into a variant of cname problem where the
hostname as far as the sendmail machine is concerned is aaaaa.com but
the DNS setting for the secondary MX is smtp1.bbbbb.co.uk.

They both resolve to the same IP but when sendmail looks up the MX
records for bbbbb.co.uk it will find smtp.bbbbb.co.uk and
smtp1.bbbbb.co.uk listed and it may relay the mail off to
smtp1.bbbbb.co.uk without recognising that aaaaa.com =
smtp1.bbbbb.co.uk. Am I on the right track here, as I then just need to
change the secondary MX setting in DNS to aaaaa.com?

Many thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.