[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Thu Feb 19 07:25:35 UTC 2015

Le 19/02/2015 05:43, Chris Murphy a écrit :
> My personal view on installers is extremely biased toward the user
> staying out of trouble, they shouldn't have to read documentation for
> a GUI installer.

A *user* never has to even see - or use - an installer. A USER has to
USE a computer,  by which I mean the applications he or she needs to get
some work done.

The person who gets to be confronted by an OS installer is not a user,
it's an ADMIN, which is an entirely different thing. An ADMIN should
RTFM (a lot) and know his way about what you call "esoteric things"
earlier in this thread (disks, partitions, volumes).

My company (http://www.microlinux.fr) installs complete Linux-based
networks for schools, town halls, public libraries etc. here in South
France. For now, most of my server and desktop solutions are based on a
highly modified version of Slackware Linux, with some CentOS and some
RHEL here and there. I'm currently planning on migrating everything to
CentOS in the long run.

One of the founding principles of my company is the constant SEPARATION
BETWEEN USING A COMPUTER AND ADMINISTRATING IT. A user never ever has to
worry about things that pertain to system administration, and it would
be very wrong if he or she ever has to deal with such a thing as an
installer. For what it's worth, some of my users don't even know that
this thing that they're using every day is called Linux under the hood.
To them, it's just the machine that's running things like their library
management software, or whatever.

So, as an admin, what I want from an installer is FLEXIBILITY... and not
an "assistant" that reminds me of Microsoft Office's infamous Clippy and
expects me to jump through burning loops to configure the system as I
want it.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat