[CentOS] CentOS 7: software RAID 5 array with 4 disks and no spares?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Feb 20 05:51:26 UTC 2015

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

> I'm not sure why you seem to disagree with what I wrote ("unconvinced")
> and then basically say what I was saying.

you: result has to be a jack of all trades.

me: Chrome is not jack of all trades (yet) yet is very successful/growing

But also I'm unconvinced in general. I don't know how this all plays
out. But you and I are definitely on the same page with respect to
"Linux with a thousand knobs" popularity contest.

Granted, Windows made this work along with an army of sysadmins, so
there will be the cases where schools and governments (e.g. München,
Brasilia, etc.) and some businesses can make that work. Hopefully
there's enough understanding this is "freedom/libre software" and not
"no cost" software. That former proprietary software license budget
needs to somehow get divvied up to e.g. the Document Foundation, Linux
Foundation, FSF, whatever. The concept that's important is not "no one
owns the software" it's "everyone owns the software". I think it's
really questionable having public dollars spend money on license fees
especially when proprietary formats get used to store public data (all
of it is public data ultimately).

But, overwhelmingly (obviously) where Linux OS's are popular are the
totally sysadmin free ones that actually have polish: Chrome OS,
Android/Cyanogen. I think it's the polish, not the fact they're mobile
OS's, that make them successful.

Kinda jaw dropping is that Microsoft is starting to "get it" more than
Apple when it comes to being a better citizen on multiple platform,
and they've even been contributing to the linux kernel for a while,
and open sourcing some of their own stuff, and cooperating with the
Samba folks to make everything work better. Not perfect of course, but
Apple, as much as they some things right, they really face plant in
other areas. Most of their open source effort is languishing.

--
Chris Murphy