[CentOS] Help with routing question.

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Feb 20 14:31:14 UTC 2015

On Thu, February 19, 2015 12:33, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 9:48 AM, James B. Byrne
> <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I added these directives to the route-eth0:192 file:
>>>
>>> ADDRESS0=192.168.6.9
>>> NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
>>> GATEWAY0=192.168.6.1
>>>

>> Which should have been:
>>
>> ADDRESS0=192.168.6.0
>>
>> NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
>> GATEWAY0=192.168.6.1
>>

> But it still doesn't matter.  Your netmask in the ifcfg- file already
> covers that range and you don't need another route/GATEWAY for it.
> You don't need the route- file at all.

Thank you.  I was grasping at straws in this case to solve a strange
routing problem that turned out to be a misconfigured gateway
firewall.  It was a very odd error because it only affected one of our
off-site net-blocks. So tracking it down cause a little more
hair-pulling than usual.

Fixed for now.

Canada  L8E 3C3