[CentOS] how to stop yum when networkmanager has broken resolv.conf?

Chris Stone axisml at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:13:13 UTC 2015

try CTRL-Z to put that running process in your shell to sleep, then:

bg 1

to put the process in the background. Then you can run:

killall -TERM yum

to kill all the yum processes. If that doesn't kill it after running a
couple of times, then use:

killall -9 yum

and that should do it.

Chris

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I'm getting an error where the network service and NetworkManager
> apparently don't agree on how to bring up vlans on bonded nics.
> Things come up if you 'ifup ..' manually.  I thought I'd check if
> there were any updates, forgetting to fix what NetworkManger had done
> to /etc/resolv.conf and:
>
> http://centos.arvixe.com/7.0.1406/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno 12] Timeout on
> http://centos.arvixe.com/7.0.1406/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: (28,
> 'Resolving timed out after 30381 milliseconds')
> Trying other mirror.
> ^C^C^C
> ^C^C^C
>
>  Current download cancelled, interrupt (ctrl-c) again within two seconds
> to exit.
>
> Yeah - I did hit it about 6 times there.   What do you have to do to
> make it actually stop in some reasonable amount of time?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>       lesmikesell at gmail.com

Chris Stone