[CentOS] Replacement for NIS/NFS?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 00:15:33 UTC 2015

On 02/23/2015 08:22 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> 1. Users should be manageable through a GUI, probably a web interface,
> so the client can create, manage and delete them eventually.

FreeIPA is a good option, generally.  As best I understand it, it's
currently available in a Docker container for CentOS.
http://seven.centos.org/2014/12/freeipa-4-1-2-and-centos/

I haven't heard about more standard packaging, but that might come along
later...

> 2. Home directories should be created/deleted automagically under the hood.

You can use pam_mkhomedir to create them, but archiving or deleting home
directories would be a manual process.

> 3. Every user should be able to login on any machines and find his or
> her files and preferences.

You can continue using NFS for that.