[CentOS] Kickstart with multiple eth devices

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Wed Feb 25 20:17:36 UTC 2015

<overly trimmed>

On 02/25/2015 01:56 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Ok, so some of this now works, but I'm still having problems. With the
> bootif option, the system now correctly configures and uses the same
> interface to get its kickstart file. However, when the system is done and
> boots up, the interfaces are still messed up. So this is what I have in the
> kickstart file:

What version of CentOS 6 is this?

> In the PXE config file I have:
>
> IPAPPEND 2
> APPEND ks=http://192.168.x.x/ks/portico.ks initrd=centos/x86_64/initrd.img
> ramdisk_size=100000 ksdevice=bootif

> As soon as I *remove* the additional ethernet card, the system will boot up
> with the ports configured correctly (port 1 = eth0, port 2 = eth1). So why
> is it that as soon as there is an additional one, all things go to hell?
> Why must the boot process shuffle them? More importantly, how do I prevent
> this so that the system comes up properly after a kickstart install?

The reason I ask the version, is this is exactly the sort of thing that
biosdevname is designed to solve. With biosdevname, you get devices like
'em1, em2, p6p1', which aren't as friendly as 'eth0' but also keep names
sane and avoid the hair-tearing issues you're experiencing currently.
You don't appear to be adding anything via your append line that would
disable biosdevname, so I must assume you're using a much older 6 base
install.

--
Jim Perrin