[CentOS] C7, igb and DCB support for pause frame ?

Laurent Wandrebeck l.wandrebeck at quelquesmots.fr
Fri Feb 27 09:21:42 UTC 2015

Steven Tardy <sjt5atra at gmail.com> a écrit :

>  DCB requires Priority Flow Control(PFC) aka 802.1Qbb.
> "Flow Control" is 802.3x.
>
> The two are often confused and not compatible.
>
> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ethernet-controllers/ethernet-controller-i350-datasheet.html
>
> Mentions "flow control" several times, but never
> PFC/priority-flow-control/802.1Qbb.
>
> PFC capable switches purposefully disable 802.3x flow control. Also PFC has
> to negotiate between two devices/switches matching QoS/CoS/no-drop policies.
>
> Some good reading for beginner PFC knowledge:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/ieee-802-1-data-center-bridging/at_a_glance_c45-460907.pdf
>
> What exactly are you trying to pause? Typically FCoE/iSCSI is set to
> "no-drop" and Ethernet traffic is paused/dropped in favor of storage
> traffic. If there is only one type/class/CoS of traffic PFC won't gain much
> over regular flow control/802.3x.
>
> Hope that helps.

Hello Steven,

You’ve been really helpful !

Our switches indeed do support 802.3x and not 802.1Qbb.

Ethtool telling:
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric

I guess (I’m more of a sysad guy than netad) we’re on the right track
and have no need of DCB* and lldpad.

Actually, our masters will be metadata server for the distributed FS
(RozoFS not to name it), and will export a system image via NFS to
nodes (2×1gbps, 802.3ad) which are « diskless » (no disk for OS but
disks for distributed FS storage only).
FC (802.3x) usage is mandatory for RozoFS.
There will be some other traffic due to HTCondor (nodes will be
execute nodes too), syslog being centralized on masters…
I know, that not the perfect config, but we had to do that way due to
budget constraints.
Now I need to find how to get a single image for all the nodes :)
(PXE, dhcpd, dracut and yum --installroot should do the trick I hope).

Thanks again for the head’s up !

Regards,
Laurent.